Bomber plane captures U-Boat. On August 27, 1941, U-boat U-570, captained by Kapitanleutnant Hans-Joachim Rahmlow, surfaced off the coast of Iceland. Almost immediately, it was spotted by James Thompson, the acting leader of a British squadron based in Iceland who was on an anti-submarine patrol. Immediately, Rahmlow ordered a crash dive, but it was too late. Thompson’s Hudson bomber dropped four depth charges, one of which dealt a critical blow to U-570, knocking out the lighting system.
Being inexperienced in U-boats and commanding an inexperienced crew, Rahmlow panicked and surfaced again, fearing the release of deadly chlorine gas. When a number of the crew came up on deck, Thompson attacked the U-boat with the plane’s machine guns. The crew soon realized the futility of fighting the aircraft in rough seas and surrendered. Amazed, Thompson flew in for a closer look, but no other attempt was made by the crew to defend their vessel, fearing more depth charge attacks. Thompson then radioed for more planes and to alert the Navy to collect the U-boat.
In the time it took for the Royal Navy armed trawler to arrive, the U-boat crew destroyed the code books and Enigma machines on board. U-570 was then towed back to Iceland and beached to prevent it from sinking. The boat was repaired, and it was discovered that there was no evidence of chlorine gas. A more experienced crew would probably have escaped. U-570 was then placed into service with the Royal Navy as HMS Graph. The surrender of U-570 remains the only time a submarine has surrendered to an aircraft.
- History’s Most Mysterious Shipwrecks - 03/12/2018
- Ancient Leaders That Were Really Weird People - 03/12/2018
- The Most Bizarre Time Travel Stories Ever - 28/11/2018
- Ten Inventors Killed By Their Inventions - 24/11/2018
- The Strange History Of Atlantis - 21/11/2018
- Entire Countries Embarrassed By These 6 Moments - 15/11/2018
- Things About Ancient Egypt That Still Can’t Be Explained - 11/11/2018
- World War II Stories – Hitler And The Occult. The People He Killed - 31/10/2018
- World War II Stories: Rare Historical Photographs Of The Dunkirk Evacuation - 23/10/2018
- The Doomsday Clock Scary History - 09/10/2018
- World War II Stories : The Resistance At Westerplatte - 22/08/2018
- World War II Stories: Bomber Plane Captures U-Boat - 09/08/2018
- World War II Stories: Operation Jericho – A Rescue Mission That Turned Deadly - 26/07/2018
- The Abraham Lincoln And John F Kennedy Parallels - 26/07/2018
- Alternative Views: South Korean Provocations Sparked The Korean War - 22/07/2018