Beijing-based MAD Architects earned themselves a place on the shortlist of the Southbank by Beulah competition with a green skyscraper that towers over the city of Melbourne. Twisting up as a single tower, the skyscraper is a multipurpose vision that spreads visitors across multiple levels while attempting to connect them with nature.
“Defying the typical glass, box-like buildings of Melbourne that appear detached from the city’s historic parks and natural local terrain, MAD’s organic design introduces a silhouette of natural forms—mountain, tree, cloud—into the dense city center, offering a distinct and iconic scheme for the skyline, that reconnects citizens with nature,” writes the Asian firm.
The lower retail levels of the building were conceived as a “mountain village” with vertically stacked green spaces that remove shoppers from the urban environment and place them in nature. The tower rises from this village like a tree, the wood beams mimicking its roots.
The cantilevered cloud not only allows unobstructed views of Melbourne, but also houses the public amenities of the hotel. Visitors can enjoy the restaurant, lobby, bar, and observation deck while taking in the cityscape. “Towards the edges, ‘the cloud’ becomes translucent, emulating a real cloud so that it gives the sensation of air and lightness, becoming a blur as it blends into the sky.”
In keeping with their idea to create “a mountain in the city,” their design connects indoor and outdoor through a series of large open terraces, public art zones, and gardens.
click for slideshow
- Designer Skyscraper Rises Up Like A Mountain In The City - 27/10/2018
- Nursing Cat Looks After Other Animals At Animal Shelter - 12/10/2018
- Cute Sea Slugs That Prove Aliens Already Live On Planet Earth - 30/08/2018
- 100+ Artists Pay Tribute to Creative Genius Hayao Miyazaki - 17/08/2018
- Perfectly Timed Cat Photos Taken At The Right Moment - 11/07/2018
- Korean Artist Creates Incredibly Realistic Paintings - 11/07/2018
- Artist Paints Imaginary Ecosystems Bursting With Color! - 24/06/2018
- Santiago Street Is Turned Into A Colorful Pedestrian Promenade - 12/06/2018
- Single Guy Recreates His Twin Sister’s Baby Photos Using A Cat - 10/06/2018
- Botticelli’s Masterpiece Of ‘The Birth of Venus’ - 24/05/2018
- Facts About Vincent Van Gogh That Is Fascinating - 21/05/2018
- Hand-Cut Paper To Create Sculptures Of Birds, Bees And Other Creatures - 21/05/2018
- Coffee How Do You Like Yours - 15/05/2018
- Daughter Found Box With 30,000 Never-Before-Seen Negatives - 16/04/2018
- Female Giants Accompany Their Fierce Companions - 06/04/2018