Photographer Franck Bohbot presents Manhattan’s street corners and storefronts as symbolic portraits of the perpetual metropolitan pulse, throbbing luminously long after sundown.
Captured over the course of almost two years, Bohbot’s series called Light On comprises 57 nighttime photographs of classic New York City scenes, from landmark establishments like the Gramercy Cafe and the Apollo Theater to ordinary laundromats and deli’s. Neon signs and marquees emit a multicolored radiance that’s often softly muted by snow or rain, and 24-hour shops glow through fogged windows, lending the images a gentle glaze of nostalgia.
Human characters aren’t frequent players within the quiet compositions, though the occasional passing person appears as, in Bohbot’s words, a “protagonist.” This reference to theatrical language—and the romantic grandeur of his captures, which are reminiscent of movie sets—is no coincidence. The award-winning French artist came to photography via cinema, and his prior background continues to inform his work.
In his artist statement, Bohbot explains that his aesthetic “inhabits a space between reality and fantasy, documenting and storytelling, every frame – to borrow a phrase from Nan Goldin – like a still from a nonexistent film.” He aims to highlight “the surreal symmetries of our constructed worlds.”
- Those Times When Adorable Opossums Were The Unsung Heroes Of Cute - 17/12/2018
- Beautiful Oil Pastel Drawings of Flowers Drenched In Golden Honey - 14/12/2018
- Designer Skyscraper Rises Up Like A Mountain In The City - 27/10/2018
- Nursing Cat Looks After Other Animals At Animal Shelter - 12/10/2018
- Cute Sea Slugs That Prove Aliens Already Live On Planet Earth - 30/08/2018
- 100+ Artists Pay Tribute to Creative Genius Hayao Miyazaki - 17/08/2018
- Perfectly Timed Cat Photos Taken At The Right Moment - 11/07/2018
- Korean Artist Creates Incredibly Realistic Paintings - 11/07/2018
- Artist Paints Imaginary Ecosystems Bursting With Color! - 24/06/2018
- Santiago Street Is Turned Into A Colorful Pedestrian Promenade - 12/06/2018
- Single Guy Recreates His Twin Sister’s Baby Photos Using A Cat - 10/06/2018
- Hand-Cut Paper To Create Sculptures Of Birds, Bees And Other Creatures - 21/05/2018
- Coffee How Do You Like Yours - 15/05/2018
- Female Giants Accompany Their Fierce Companions - 06/04/2018
- The Transylvania Roads From Above. Yes, That Transylvania! - 25/03/2018