The eyes are a very important organ of our body. With the constant use of digital devices, eyesight has begun to decline faster in young people. Improving vision is a combination of diet, exercise, rest, and medical checks.
Improving Your Vision Naturally
While prescriptions and medicine can help in correcting visual anomalies, we can look for natural methods to improve your eyesight. These methods include
1. Eat Healthily
Eating healthy includes eating a balanced diet filled with vitamins and minerals. Vitamins like vitamins A, C, and E and omega-3 fatty acids help eyesight tremendously. These nutrients can be gotten from carrots, broccoli, spinach, sweet potato, citrus fruits, peppers, and salmon. Carrots and leafy vegetables are rich in carotenoids which help protect the eye.
2. Stay Healthy
Exercising often keeps your weight down and helps in blood circulation. Type 2 diabetes is more common in overweight people and this disease causes damage to the tiny vessels in your eyes.
3. Wear Protective Eyewear
Wear suitable protective eyewear for whatever activity you may be doing like a science experiment or working with machinery. This is to prevent injury to the eyes. You should also wear anti-glare glasses when watching a screen for a long time. Wearing sunglasses also prevents eye damage as it protects your eyes from 99% of UV radiation from sunlight.
How To Improve Vision After Cataract Surgery
Cataracts is an eye condition where a cloudy patch is formed on the lens of your eye. This is formed by the clumping together of broken-down proteins causing blurred vision. Cataract surgery corrects this anomaly and improve vision.
Your vision should begin to improve within the next few days after your surgery. The immediate changes you will experience are clearer vision and brighter colors as cataracts dull the lens. Full recovery takes a few weeks, but here is how to improve vision after cataract surgery faster.
1. Wear a protective eye shield. You have to wear a protective eye shield at night to prevent unconsciously rubbing or bumping your eye.
2. Use your eye drops. This goes without saying that you should use the medications that the doctor prescribed for you after the surgery. These medications are to reduce the risk of inflammation and infection.
3. Avoid irritants. You have to avoid substances that may irritate your eyes such as makeup, lash extensions, soap, dust, etc.
4. Avoid swimming. You may have to give up swimming for about 4 to 6 weeks to let your eyes fully recover. This is to prevent getting an infection. Swimming pools are places where bacteria can grow and you are more likely to get an infection especially when your eyes are recovering.
Eye Exercises To Improve Vision
Just like exercising our bodily muscles is beneficial, eye exercise to improve vision are very effective.. Although it cannot correct refractive errors such as myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism these exercise helps in eye alignment and focusing thereby improving conditions like lazy eye, eye turn, etc.
1. Blinking. Because of how much time we spend on our devices the rate at which we blink slows down. Blinking exercises include closing the eyes and passing for about two seconds and opening them again.
2. Pencil pushups. This is to improve the accommodation of the eyes. Place a pencil at arm’s length and focus on a letter on the end of the pencil. Move the pencil towards your face slowly until your vision doubles then move it away from your eyes again. Repeat a few times.
3. Figure Eight. This exercise improves the tracking of an object with your eyes. Look at a point or place an object on the floor 10 feet away. Then draw an imaginary figure eight with your eyes. Switch directions after 30 seconds.
Getting regular checks at the ophthalmologist’s office is just one of the many ways to prevent visual decline. You have to exercise your body, eat healthy, stay healthy and wear protective eye coverings. These activities help improve vision.